IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Amorphophallus cirrifer issue
From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2010.04.30 at 03:58:32(20988)
So far, I have not had much success growing flowering size cirrifers. I can grow them up to flowering size fine. But I wont go into all those details right now. I just have this one question for now. As you can see from the attached photo, one of my cirrifer tubers is flowering.

Last time one flowered for me, I put it in the soil when the new growth tip started to emerge from the dormant tuber. I inspected it and it did grow me one single root. BUT after it flowered, it went dormant for 6 months and started growing in November only to go asleep again in March. Due to the cold weather, the tuber not grow very big at all, it lost a considerable amount of mass. At lease I think it was the colder weather that did it. It could have also been the fact that I was trying to force it to stay dormant by not potting it up. I did not want it to grow through the winter so I left it un potted. It started to dryout so I ended up potting it so I would not loose it.

Anyway, I want to know: should I put the tuber in the soil now or leave it until the flower dies? Remember last time I potted it up and it grew a root durring the flowering period. Right now as you can see from the picture, it has no roots but I thing its possible that it could grow some if I plant it now. But im afraid it might do the same going dormant thing that my other one did. What should I do?

--0-1380797542-1272599912=:55601

+More
From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2010.04.30 at 03:58:32(20989)

So far, I have not had much success growing flowering size cirrifers. I can grow them up to flowering size fine. But I wont go into all those details right now. I just have this one question for now. As you can see from the attached photo, one of my cirrifer tubers is flowering.

Last time one flowered for me, I put it in the soil when the new growth tip started to emerge from the dormant tuber. I inspected it and it did grow me one single root. BUT after it flowered, it went dormant for 6 months and started growing in November only to go asleep again in March. Due to the cold weather, the tuber not grow very big at all, it lost a considerable amount of mass. At lease I think it was the colder weather that did it. It could have also been the fact that I was trying to force it to stay dormant by not potting it up. I did not want it to grow through the winter so I left it un potted. It started to dryout so I ended up potting it so I would not loose it.

Anyway, I want to know: should I put the tuber in the soil now or leave it until the flower dies? Remember last time I potted it up and it grew a root durring the flowering period. Right now as you can see from the picture, it has no roots but I thing its possible that it could grow some if I plant it now. But im afraid it might do the same going dormant thing that my other one did. What should I do?

--0-1380797542-1272599912=:55601----0-397941568-1272599912=:55601

HTML

From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter at xs4all.nl> on 2010.05.01 at 06:03:04(20995)
Cirrifer in my collection always did the same thing:

Flowering IN soil (never let an Amorpho flower on a dry tuber, it will
cost extra water) so it can make a few roots during flowering, which
probably serve to take up water during the rapid stretching of the cells
of the flower. Leave it in soil after flowering and water just enough to
keep moist because cirrifer always produced its leaf a few weeks after
flowering for me. Don't force it to go dormant.

And yes, when the plant has to live with lower temperatures it will
certainly produce a small tuber and tubers that haven't developed well,
are much more sensitive to drying out during dormancy.

Amorphs always want a fine leaf-season in order to rebuild a healthy
tuber. And most species need tropical temperatures for that.

Chers,
Wilbert

+More
From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2010.05.04 at 18:25:45(21028)
Thank you so much Dr. Hetterscheid :-)

I refuse to participate in the in the recession.

--- On Fri, 4/30/10, Wilbert Hetterscheid wrote:

+More
From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2010.05.04 at 18:25:45(21029)
Thank you so much Dr. Hetterscheid :-)

I refuse to participate in the in the recession.

--- On Fri, 4/30/10, Wilbert Hetterscheid wrote:

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.