IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Recovering partially rotted Amorphophallus seeds
From: Neil Thompson <nthompso at unbc.ca> on 2017.03.17 at 20:17:22(23747)
Hello, I have a question for any experienced Amorphophallus growers on the list--

I decided to try my hand at growing large Amorphophallus from seed as a winter project. A winter project in Canada. Murphy's Law was in effect, and my seeds made the final leg of their journey the day after our warm weather ended. The result was a collection of sprouted A. titanum, A. decus-silvae, and A. gigas seeds in various states of shock. One third turned to mush very quickly, and another third showed signs of recovery and have been slowly but successfully growing.

What I'd like the collective opinion on is the other third: on these, the growth tips rotted, leaving nothing but a crater, but the seeds themselves remained firm. I kept these in cool, humid conditions in slightly damp sphagnum for several months. Two have now started new growths from around what would have been the root collar. The more developed of the two looks just like a normal growth tip, and the other has a pair of growths that look like they're well on their way.

So far I have one decus-silvae and one titanum with the new growths. I haven't been able to find any references to this online, so I'd like to know if it's something that's happened for others as well, or if it's unusual? My plan is to go ahead and treat them like any other sprouting Amorphophallus seed, unless someone has a better suggestion from their experience?

Thanks

Neil

+More
From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2017.03.22 at 01:59:32(23750)
Dear Neil: I have no experience with the behavior you described and find it incredible that some of your seeds sort of gave you a second opportunity. Usually seeds are rather sensitive and just die if the conditions are bad. You must be living right!

Tom Croat

+More
From: "StroWi at t-online.de" <StroWi at t-online.de> on 2017.03.22 at 09:15:49(23752)
Hi Neil,

growing tropical Amorphophallus at the beginnig of the Canadian winter is definitely ambitious....
even more a great thing to read about the results....

I guess the seeds simply regenerated adventitious meristems / shoot(leaf) buds after loosing the first original one. An alternative might be the emergance of sleeping meristems, but I would favour the first one.
This reminds me of an experience Bjoern Malkmus described about 15 years ago; he destroyed deliberatly the leaf bud of a sprounting titanum and thereby forced the emergance of 4 new leaf buds that developed into 4 individual plants and finally 4 tubers. So the potential of regenerating new meristems / leaf(shoot) buds from tuber tissue is there.
The same seems to happen at bulbils of bulbifer where a shoot bud appears at the side of the bulbil; I would see this as an adventitious meristem as well.
I wonder if the seed tissue is equvalent to the tissue present in tubers, but I guess there are no histological examinations present in that direction.

However, thanks for sharing your very interesting observation!

And yes, I would treat the seeds with the new buds just as normal seeds....

Happy growing, Bernhard.

+More
From: ecuador10 at comcast.net on 2017.03.22 at 17:31:31(23754)
Years ago I had partially rotted amorphophallus titanum seeds grow. I let them dry out and planted them and they grew. Never give up the ship as long as there is some life left in the seed.

Betsy

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.