IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Recovering partially rotted Amorphophallus seeds
From: "StroWi at t-online.de" <StroWi at t-online.de> on 2017.03.22 at 09:15:49(23752)
Hi Neil,

growing tropical Amorphophallus at the beginnig of the Canadian winter is definitely ambitious....
even more a great thing to read about the results....

I guess the seeds simply regenerated adventitious meristems / shoot(leaf) buds after loosing the first original one. An alternative might be the emergance of sleeping meristems, but I would favour the first one.
This reminds me of an experience Bjoern Malkmus described about 15 years ago; he destroyed deliberatly the leaf bud of a sprounting titanum and thereby forced the emergance of 4 new leaf buds that developed into 4 individual plants and finally 4 tubers. So the potential of regenerating new meristems / leaf(shoot) buds from tuber tissue is there.
The same seems to happen at bulbils of bulbifer where a shoot bud appears at the side of the bulbil; I would see this as an adventitious meristem as well.
I wonder if the seed tissue is equvalent to the tissue present in tubers, but I guess there are no histological examinations present in that direction.

However, thanks for sharing your very interesting observation!

And yes, I would treat the seeds with the new buds just as normal seeds....

Happy growing, Bernhard.

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.