IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Anyone on here ? Rhaphidophora
From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.06 at 15:29:37(23865)
How many people are actually still on here?

(That's a honest question.)

What's the best way to root Rhaphidophora decursiva cuttings? I have them tightly wrapped in sphagnum moss at the moment, but don't want them to rot.

Thanks

--

The Silent Seed

HTML

+More

From: JILL BELL <jb_bell at comcast.net> on 2018.08.06 at 17:30:25(23866)

I am on here! But I don't know the answer to your question. Sorry!

On August 6, 2018 at 10:29 AM The Silent Seed wrote:

What's the best way to root Rhaphidophora decursiva cuttings? I have them tightly wrapped in sphagnum moss at the moment, but don't want them to rot.

Thanks

--

The Silent Seed

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.06 at 19:42:43(23868)
Hi guys!

Thanks for coming out of the woodwork! I had no idea about Julius' death - that's a hole that won't be filled. Is Dr. Croat still around?

Zach - Yes, I fell out of the loop when I created, built, and ran a nature based preschool with my own tropical jungle and nature center as part of it - I'm getting back into the loop of the whole plant thing. Look forward to getting all caught up with the goings-on!

Thank you for the advice about my cuttings. If I do start seeing some rot, what can be done to salvage the cutting?

Best to all,

Jude

HTML

+More

From: a sunjian <asjbiotek at gmail.com> on 2018.08.06 at 19:47:33(23869)
Did you try the IAS facebook page? People are here, but they may not have the answer

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 11:29 AM, The Silent Seed wrote:

Thanks

--

The Silent Seed

HTML

+More

From: Zach DuFran <zdufran at gmail.com> on 2018.08.06 at 17:54:15(23870)
Hi Jude,

I’m still a member of the mail group. It’s been a long time since I’ve heard from you.

I don’t have experience rooting this particular species. However, closely related species have rooted well for me directly in water. It’s best to allow the cut end to callous a bit before putting it in water and also good to change the water regularly. Regardless of water or sphagnum, you should check the cuttings regularly to make sure they’re not softening, an early sign of rot.

Zach

HTML

+More

From: Zach DuFran <zdufran at gmail.com> on 2018.08.06 at 20:09:02(23871)
If you start seeing rot, you can cut off the soft portion of the cutting and let it all dry out a bit and then proceed as before, but maybe in a less moist environment and better air circulation.

Zach

HTML

+More

From: Theodore Held <oppenhauser2001 at gmail.com> on 2018.08.06 at 19:12:58(23876)
Dear Silent Seed,

There are still a few of us. Maybe many. But postings have declined since Julius's death. No one will be able to replace that guy.

Ted Held

HTML

+More

From: JILL BELL <jb_bell at comcast.net> on 2018.08.06 at 20:03:21(23878)

I didn't see that Julius died! I am so sad, when did this happen? He was a wonderful person.

On August 6, 2018 at 2:42 PM The Silent Seed wrote:

Hi guys!

Thanks for coming out of the woodwork! I had no idea about Julius' death - that's a hole that won't be filled. Is Dr. Croat still around?

Zach - Yes, I fell out of the loop when I created, built, and ran a nature based preschool with my own tropical jungle and nature center as part of it - I'm getting back into the loop of the whole plant thing. Look forward to getting all caught up with the goings-on!

Thank you for the advice about my cuttings. If I do start seeing some rot, what can be done to salvage the cutting?

Best to all,

Jude

HTML

+More

From: riley2362 at aol.com on 2018.08.06 at 21:26:05(23879)
I find this plant to be quite easy to root in sphagnum, almost too easy! I have stopped rooting them because very few people have a place to grow this fast climbing, large-leaved species - but, then again, I'm in the middle of New York City. So I just take a machete to the vine when it reaches the ceiling and it branches out and repeats the performance within another year.

Michael

In a message dated 8/6/2018 4:04:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, tylus.seklos@gmail.com writes:

HTML

+More

From: Emily Colletti <Emily.Colletti at mobot.org> on 2018.08.06 at 20:14:50(23880)
Yes Dr. Croat is still around. Working on his 51st year at MOBOT.

As for your cuttings I root most of my aroids with AA/or AAA New Zealand spagmoss. With a high percentage of success. Sprinkle on Cinnamon if you are getting
rot or sprinkle on Sulfer plant fungicide by bonide.

Emily Colletti Horticulturist Research/Aroid collections Missouri Botanical Garden 4344 Shaw Blvd. St. Louis, MO 63110 314-577-9527

HTML

+More

From: Rosalind Gold <rozgold at pacbell.net> on 2018.08.06 at 22:31:40(23882)
Friends:

I agree with the comments made about the decline of folks conversing in text in plant groups - I do know of a notable exception, which is a group of gesneriad growers, which have quite robust conversations.

I don't have an answer to Jude's question - although the recommendations that other folks have made seem quite sensible.

Finally, I'd encourage folks who are still reading the e-mail on this list as to do as much as possible to engage in conversation. I've posted a few questions, and I always get helpful responses - even if there's a not of people responding. For example, I had purchased a big-leafed anthurium at the IAS show in February, and after I potted it at home, all of the leafs died. I asked whether I should just throw out the stem and roots - and a few folks suggested that I hold on and water very lightly. Sure enough - several months later - it's now sprouting two tiny new leafs. The resilience of some plants is amazing!

Good growing all!

Roz, in Los Angeles

HTML

+More

From: a sunjian <asjbiotek at gmail.com> on 2018.08.06 at 22:12:29(23884)
Julius passed away in 2010:

http://keyapa.com/pahatan/meconuts.htm

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.06 at 21:58:21(23885)
Thanks Zach, and Emily!

Glad to hear Dr. Croat is still doing what he loves!

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 4:14 PM, Emily Colletti wrote:

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2018.08.07 at 16:38:45(23896)
Dear Jude:

I am still around, still working 80 hours a week at 80 and nothing has yet slowed down unfortunately. Ted Held, it was nice to hear your “voice”. I hope things are well with you. I have embarked
on a Revision of Stenospermation, a nifty genus that is now the least well known genus of its size, perhaps with 300 species. We already have nearly 100 species in our new Lucid Key to Stenospermation.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 19:44:37(23909)
Dear Tom,

Stenospermation!!!That is fantastic!

Nothing slows you down, does it my friend?

Happy days,

Christopher

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.