IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Philo 'Chumley' x 'Chumley'
From: "StroWi at t-online.de" <StroWi at t-online.de> on 2018.08.07 at 10:01:07(23890)

Aroiders,

would anyone how long seed of a cross Philodendron 'Chumley' x 'Chumley' need to germinate?

HTML

+More

From: a sunjian <asjbiotek at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 17:27:34(23901)
I know Taylor is growing some chumley cross seedlings, I'll ask him to check aroid-L for this message.

As an aside, it would now be called Thaumatophyllum 'Chumley' x 'Chumley' as all mecos have been elevated to genus.

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 17:05:24(23902)
Bernhard,

Is this the "curly selloum" plant that Chumley has? What has been happening with that plant and its' nomenclature, if anything? Last I heard (8? years ago?) is that Chumley was trying to get this plant propagated and distributed?

Jude

HTML

+More

From: a sunjian <asjbiotek at gmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 18:05:35(23905)
Taylor replied to my query....he also has T. 'Chumley x Chumley' and he says (he has trouble replying to aroid-l messages for some reason):

" I think my seeds showed life in 4 days."

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.08 at 00:07:06(23919)
Do you mind if I ask how these were made available? I'd love to try some someday. I saw the mother plant many moons ago.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 2:05 PM, a sunjian wrote:

HTML

+More

From: Don Bittel <donbit121 at hotmail.com> on 2018.08.07 at 23:59:29(23920)

Hello!

All of the seeds that I have produced on the Meconostigma philodendrons germinate quickly, in 3 to 10 days, with almost 100% germination. I usually plant about two days after harvest. If I wait a week to plant, germination is low.

Hybrids are the same as species in this regard.

When did these get changed to thaumat....?

Glad to see some activity here on aroid-l. I am not a facebook person!

Don Bittel

HTML

+More

From: Taylor <taylorholzer at yahoo.com> on 2018.08.08 at 16:51:49(23931)
(File Type Not Recognized: attachments/180808101705-1.jpe)

My seeds were in transit for 5 days, sprouted in 4 days after arriving.

On Aug 8, 2018, at 11:44 AM, Tom Croat wrote:

Dear Bernard:

I think that the Meconostigma (Now Thaumatophyllum) have a different biology. I have received seeds that were seemingly very dry which germinated. Typical aroids can’t be allowed to dry out
at all but perhaps since Thaumatophyllum evolved in the much drier habitats of the catinga and matte atlantica they have adobted a different reproductive strategy and that dry seeds are the norm. Find out from Taylor how many days his seeds were in transit.
I few days of wet conditions might be good but the longer transit time to Europe were not so good.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2018.08.08 at 15:44:19(23932)
Dear Bernard:

I think that the Meconostigma (Now Thaumatophyllum) have a different biology. I have received seeds that were seemingly very dry which germinated. Typical aroids can’t be allowed to dry out
at all but perhaps since Thaumatophyllum evolved in the much drier habitats of the catinga and matte atlantica they have adobted a different reproductive strategy and that dry seeds are the norm. Find out from Taylor how many days his seeds were in transit.
I few days of wet conditions might be good but the longer transit time to Europe were not so good.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: Taylor <taylorholzer at yahoo.com> on 2018.08.08 at 16:13:41(23934)
Chumley sent me the seeds, he’s distributing it to trusted people to get more of them into existence.

On Aug 8, 2018, at 6:40 AM, a sunjian wrote:

I'll ask but he is friends with Chumley and probably got it direct. The last I heard he was distributing to select people:

http://keyapa.com/pahatan/rencana/p_cminiselloum_history.htm

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.08 at 17:16:41(23935)
That's awesome - about Chumley's plant getting distributed. Are there clones floating around also? Has he gotten it officially named?

i personally would love to get some - or at least one clone for my personal collection. I have always admired his plant in-situ.

Jude

HTML

+More

From: "Bernhard." <strowi at t-online.de> on 2018.08.08 at 19:06:29(23936)
Dear Tom,

thanks for your input!

If my friend might get another batch of seeds next year he might ask
for dried ones.

HTML

+More

From: Hannon <othonna at gmail.com> on 2018.08.08 at 20:15:30(23937)
Thanks, Peter. Too bad Meconostigma could not be used instead of Thaumatophyllum.

Is there now a precedent for moving Pteromischum to genus level?

Dylan

HTML

+More

From: "Bernhard." <strowi at t-online.de> on 2018.08.08 at 19:11:50(23938)
Taylor,

great picture!!!

Wishing success for the further development...

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2018.08.09 at 03:18:44(23942)
Dylan: It is essentially obligatory if you except Thaumatophyllum. Mike Grayum will not go along with the change and since he is the authority and is still finishing his revision of Pteromischum
it will be awkward for others to do so when the world’s authority on the group does not go along. I suspect that he will just go on calling them a section of Philodendron.

Tom

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.