IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Visiting nurseries in Florida / East Coast
From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.18 at 22:37:14(23993)
Hi folks,

I haven't been down to Florida in a few years, and would like any input about good, neat, or interesting, or diverse nurseries / plant shops / greenhouses I should visit while on my trip. (And anywhere in between Massachusetts and Florida.) (Both wholesale and retail welcome.)

Let the recommendations commence, please.

Best, Jude

--

The Silent Seed

HTML

+More

From: Rosalind Gold <rozgold at pacbell.net> on 2018.08.19 at 03:01:13(23994)
Jude:

First, are you going to be at the International Aroid Society Show and Sale in mid-September? This link will give you an idea of the vendors who will be selling plants:

http://www.aroid.org/show/

If you can't make it to the show itself, some of the aroid folks are OK with you coming by to where they sell plants, if you set it up in advance:

http://www.nsetropicals.com/index.html

Enid at enigo@bellsouth.net

HTML

+More

From: Don Martinson <llmen at wi.rr.com> on 2018.08.19 at 13:47:25(23995)
I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one who, on the last day of their vacation, spent the evening preparing their plant/seeds for the trip home.

Don Martinson

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.19 at 14:01:59(23996)
Thank you for your suggestions!

SKG is always on my "go to" list. Haven't coordinated anything with Enid yet although I'd like to. Thanks for the input on Bernecker's. I have contacted them to see if they carry some certain plants.

That's funny about the hotel room. I do the same thing - but on a much larger scale. On my last trip, I had to FEDEX a dozen giant commercial sized containers back home because my car was full inside, and on top. Good times! It definitely keeps us busy when we get back home with them, right? :)

I welcome more suggestions!

I'm not sure if I will make it in time for the IAS show.

Best, Jude

HTML

+More

From: Michael Kolaczewski <mjkolaffhbc at sbcglobal.net> on 2018.08.19 at 14:42:36(23997)
I always travel with a large Pullman suitcase. I now have a hard case, so the plants I get Are better protected.

I pack a few heavier trash bags so when I’m unpotting Plants, the Hotel folks won’t be mad at me at what I leave in my room!!

MJK

HTML

+More

From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2018.08.19 at 22:50:38(23998)
When I am in the field and using hotel rooms I always carry a lightweight nylong tarp 12 feet x 16 feet (weighs less than a pound and compresses to less than a loaf of bread) to completely cover
the room, bed, etc. When I am finished I scoop up what I can into a trash bag that I dump in a ditch and the rest just stays in the folded up tarp which gets shaken out at the same time. Sometimes I hang it out the window to dump the minor fragments on the
street below!

Tom

HTML

+More

From: Susan B <honeybunny442 at yahoo.com> on 2018.08.19 at 22:55:38(23999)
LOL shades of "Dexter", Tom! I wonder what the maids think...

On Sunday, August 19, 2018, 6:53:13 PM EDT, Tom Croat
wrote:

HTML

+More

From: The Silent Seed <tylus.seklos at gmail.com> on 2018.08.19 at 23:12:33(24000)
Great idea, Tom!

I have been using the big trash bags or the bins themselves.

On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 6:50 PM, Tom Croat wrote:

HTML

+More

From: Don Martinson <llmen at wi.rr.com> on 2018.08.20 at 01:31:39(24001)
Susan, at least most of us aren’t trying to cover up any malfeasance, at least in a
felonious sense. My apologies to those not familiar with the TV series “Dexter”.

Don M.

HTML

+More

From: Susan B <honeybunny442 at yahoo.com> on 2018.08.20 at 04:20:33(24002)
Ha, I remember well my days of unpotting plants after the show. On one of my first trips I thought it might be a good idea to unpot in the motel bathtub. Several hours later I had emptied a large quantity of soil into the motel landscaping. BTW, potting soil does NOT rinse down a drain very well. I ended up with a tub of mud! That might have been the trip I also decided a garment bag would be a good idea to carry home those large plants. That old bag must have weighed 30 pounds, I could barely lift it! The airlines wouldn't stand for that now...

I know Betsy could also tell stories.....

Susan B

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.