IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [aroid-l] Selloum/Bipinnatifidum
From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo at msn.com> on 2003.07.13 at 19:35:08(10394)
My Dear Friend Eduardo,

I have just forwarded you two notes concerning the possible ID of a Xanthosoma here in Florida to you, and I hope that after you have read them and seen the photo (in the second note) you will be able to help by giving your opinion!
I hope that you are well and happy, and that this gets to you OK, as it has been a while since I have heard from you.
Concerning the Philodendron issue which we briefly discussed (below), would it be safe to assume that since ALL the Philo. 'selloum' that are being produced by the million by tissue culture here in Florida and being sold into the landscaping trade all have very pronounced intravaginal squamules, they are in fact P. mello-barettoanum and not P. bipinnatifidium, which you report usually does NOT have these structures? The plants here all have a green spathe (see the recent paper on P. xanadu) , but may have just a thin line of purplish color along the very edge, I am not certain of this. Perhaps in the near future we should collaborate on a paper concerning the correct identification of this very important plant to commerce here in Florida?
A paper is certainly needed.
I look forward to hearing from you when you may have a moment.

Your Friend,

Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.