IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [aroid-l] Thai Caladium Project
From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.01.11 at 14:59:21(11002)
Dear Tim,

Lovely photos. My suggestions would be that the book contain information on the background/parentage on these exquisite plants, not just a "pretty pretty" book of photos. I see that most seem to have been derived from a variety I saw grown in quantity at Lake Placid, Cen. Florida YEARS ago, it was I believe called 'Pink Fantasy' of some such, what seems to be the same plant turned up and is still for sale in Florida as 'Thai Beauty". Some of these Thai vars. illustrated on your page seem to have little if any green areas on their leaves, I have been told that this makes for little or no tuber formation, and the demise of the beautiful plant after one year of growth when the cool season hits in the USA, so some GOOD cultural notes on how they keep their stock going from year to year would be of great help. ( I suspect that they are kept from going dormant at all in their all-year-round warm growing conditions.)
For those who REALLY like Caladiums please visit Paul Resslar`s Caladium page which is linked to the MOBOT IAS pages. Many wild species are pictured, some as beautiful as the hybrids, and I would LOVE to see a book done on them with color photos.

Julius Boos

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.