IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [aroid-l] Thai Caladium Project
From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.01.11 at 23:51:37(11007)
Dear Tim,

The 'Pink Fantasy' used to be/is grown by the Bates family in Lake Placid, Cen. Florida, I got some tubers YEARS ago, I had it here for a long time, and IF there is any difference between it and the Thai 'Honglong'/Thai Beauty' there were way too subtle for me to detect. I felt rather cheated when I finally saw 'Thai Beauty'.
I do hope the potential author takes note of your comments, I`d love to buy a really useful book on these Caladiums, but would not spend my $$ on a book w/ just photos of 'pretty-prettys'.
I`d be interested in hearing what you think of Dr. Resslar`s site, the selection of wild-collected 'natural' Caladium species is exceptional, and perhaps you can ask him if he would be willing to let a few photos be used in the proposed book.
Tuber size seems a big issue, as I mentioned some friends have had no success here in Florida with BEAUTIFUL Caladiums purchased in Thailand over an extended period, when they 'go down', no tuber, so the plant is dead. My belief is that this may be caused by the extreme color of some of the Thai hybrids with little or no green, 'energy/food-producing' areas to their leaves, but have no proof of this.

Keep us informed on any progress and good luck,

Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.