IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[aroid-l] Amorphophallus dormancy question
From: Brian Williams <pugturd at alltel.net> on 2004.04.28 at 23:10:18(11451)
Last season I planted two paeonifolius bulbs out one was about 1ft across while the other was about 7inches across. They both bloomed one in the ground one in a pot. The one in the pot after blooming started putting up leaves. The other in the ground did nothing. Afraid that it was rotting I dug down to find it sitting dormant. So I left it all summer long in the ground the other grew very nice around 9ft tall. At the end of the season I dug the dormant bulb up. I had always believed that a bulb that had bloomed and rested did not put out roots or grow. But the bulb had grown huge over the summer. Almost doubling in size. I did see just a few roots. In many other cases were I have them in pots after blooming they will usually shrink in size. Has anyone else experienced this size increase while a bulb is dormant?

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.