IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [aroid-l] Amorph Blues
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.07.05 at 13:14:09(11720)
>From: Neil Gordon
>Reply-To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>Subject: [aroid-l] Amorph Blues
>Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 20:03:46 +0100

Dear All,
Allow me to put in my two-cents worth and suggestions of these fly larvae affecting the Amorphophallus corms. I am going through a simular situation on my job (commercial landscaping installations) with a large number of native Hymenocallis lily plants. The plant goes into a decline when it should be thriving, and when you dig up a bulb you find some large larvae that look like a fly species (NOT the Lepidoptera larvae of moth sps. that sometimes affects these lily species) that have eaten the roots and some of the basal layers of the bulb and are living in cavaties thay have eaten into the underside of the bulb. I think that perhaps both 'yours' and 'my' larvae are too large to be the lavae of the small balck insects I know as fungus gnats, and will try to collect a few more w/ bulb and confine them in a large plastic container covered in saran wrap w/ some holes poked in it, some dry soil below the bulb that th!
e larvae can pupate in, and see what comes out! We may be surprised, and I urge anyone who finds these larvae to do the same, makes treatment MUCH easier IF one knows ones enemy!! I used this method to identify what insect made the large galls on leaves of a bay tree, a beautiful yellow-and-black 'bee-fly' emerged, plus many tiny ichneumon wasps that were parasitizing other fly pupae!
Good Growing!
Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.