IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [aroid-l] Aroid Cook Book
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.08.06 at 23:59:27(11938)
>From: "Steve Ritchey"
>Reply-To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>To:
>Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Aroid Cook Book
>Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:48:50 -0500
>

Dear Steve and Friends,
Ah, a breath of fresh air, someone who knows the word 'calaloo' and the fact that the word is used for several plant species! OK, here we go---the word 'calaloo' as best we can trace it, originates as an Amerindian word from Brazil meaning 'a leafy veggie', Dr. Goncalves informed me it is probably used for an amaranth sp., probably the same species of amaranth sold as 'Jamaican spinach' here in S. Florida (what is your 'malabar spinach', Steve, maybe this????) and called 'pig weed' in Cen Florida, this plant is called 'chori badghi' in Trinidad, 'badghi' being a word from India/Pakistan that seems to mean 'spinach', there are MANY different types of 'badghis' on Trinidad, W.I. The Jamaicans make THEIR 'calaloo' using this self-same amaranth, the Haitians use the word 'calaloo' for okras, but on TRINIDAD, calaloo is made by cooking the young, unfurled leaves of 'dasheen', a var. of Colocasia esculenta, cooked w/ seasonings, chopped !
okra, cleaned land crabs (since these were not available, I substituted bits of shrimp), and a balls of mushed then cooked plantains! Trinidadian calaloo can be made w/ other vars. of taro leaves, but I recomend REALLY cooking them for a long time, as I do not know what the 'itch factor' may be on some of the other vars. of taro BESIDES the T`dadian 'dasheen' which seems to have a low 'itch factor'. Dr. Goncalves told me that In Brazil they cut the whole 'top' off Xanthosoma sp. plants and make a wonderful dish with it, we do NOT eat Xanthosoma (our 'tannia') leaves in Trinidad. By the way, Americans I`ve 'turned on' to 'Jamaican spinach' bought here in WPB, Florida, tell me it is FANTANTIC, they prefered it to their mustard and collared and turnip greens they were accostomed to.
Since there seems to be some sort of recent interest in EATING aroids, maybe our newsletter might be interested in pulling up some back-issues of the IAS newsletters and re-publishing some of the recipies that I wrote on cooking aroids?? They were published back several years ago.
Aroids are becomming more and more available as food items in 'regular' grocery stores, at least in Florida! I am presently growing the 'yellow'-fleshed malanga/yautia/Xanthosoma sp., what a beautiful species, I hope to flower it as its leaves look SO different to the plants that grow from the several vars. of grocery-bought white-fleshed 'malangas'/Xanthosomas.
Elizabeth, I understand ther is a recently opened Trinidadian resturant in Ft Laud. ( ? ) that MAYBE serves a very few of the dishes, it is said to be expensive and I have NOT tried it as yet, my nephew keeps threatening to take me there!
Enough!
Good Growing AND eating!
Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.