IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [aroid-l] Aroid Cook Book
From: "Steve Ritchey" <sritchey at shreve.net> on 2004.08.08 at 16:50:17(11944)
Thanks for the full lowdown Julius-

Malabar spinach is Basella rubra, a large tropical vine with spinach- like leaves- guessing by the common name, it must be from India. It will tolerate heavy soils and occaisional flooding better than Amaranth. You just cut the young terminals for greens and let it keep growing til frost. I use the Basella with readilly available Gulf stone crabs; will have to try the plaintain balls & dasheen that grows like a weed in my drainage ditches. Turnip & mustard are the two most common greens grown here, but they become so bitter when grown in hot weather that people drench them with the same red pepper sauce prescribed for the unlucky woodchuck.

Xanthosomas are sold as malangas in supermarkets here, too, but as far as I know, they're always used as ornamental foundation plants. I've never known anyone to cook and eat them. This is rice country.

Interesting comments from Dr. Goncalves- Okra is a summer staple here, but when people say Gumbo they mean our ultimate comfort food, Louisiana style boullabaise highly seasoned with filet gumbo ( powdered sassafrass root) - it never has any okra in it. On the other hand, the local farmers refer to our sticky clay soil as 'gumbo'.

!

Enjoy your Sunday
Steve

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.