IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [aroid-l] Aquatic Homalomena species (Aroids as sumerged aquatics?)
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.08.22 at 15:33:55(12036)
>From: "Peter Boyce"
>Reply-To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>To:
>Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Aquatic Homalomena species (Aroids as sumerged aquatics?)
>Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:49:31 +0800
>

Dear Friends,
And yet another' rider' to Pete and Alistair`s notes---if we take the time to read my 'oldish' article 'Experiencing Urospathas", published in Aroideana some years ago. I believe it gives THE perfect way to grow these types of plants, and Pete is correct, the flushing of their pots/soil and the changing of the water that the pots stand in are absoloutly essential to growing them to their full potential. Also, the potting method which I explain in my article which consists of using some larger-type of medium (1"-2" 'larva rock'?) in the bottom 3" of the pot so as to prevent any of the soil medium from being submerged, keeping the 'soil' medium ABOVE the level of the water in their saucers or trays, is essential IF you want them to survive long term, and I believe this is the aim of most growers. I personally do not use much perlite in the mix ( I prefer using coarse sand/fine gravel) as I THINK Urospathas and Cyrtospermas!
develop an aversion to it, maybe because of the changing seasons/temps here in Florida, but I may not be correct in this conclusion. In closing, apart from the Crypts and a few Anubias sps., I don`t think most of the plants that we have been discussing real 'like' being grown completely underwater, if we try, most will/may survive BUT be about 1/8 their potential size.
Good Growing,
Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.