IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Amorph titanum flowering in Sydney, Australia
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.10.10 at 12:37:51(12275)
>From: "Alistair Hay"
>Reply-To: Discussion of aroids
>To: "Discussion of aroids"
>Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorph titanum flowering in Sydney, Australia
>Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:52:09 +1000
>

Dear Alistair,
Thanks for the information and congrats on getting any size of a bloom! I read where the spadix collapsed a very short time after it opened, I wonder if this is not another sign of something I have been observing in aroids in many species over many years. I have suggested that many Aroids (the genus Arisaema has taken this to the ultimate) will produce a smaller than usual bloom that, though it may have female flowers (in Arisaema the female flowers are NOT produced) , is never intended and in fact can and does not produce fruit/seed, the small bloom only contributes pollen to the genitic 'trail'. This might occur when a plant 'senses' that it is stressed (too many growing seasons without a tuber large enough to sustain the development of fruit/seed) or is growing in a site less-then-optimum to producing a large tuber which is able to sustain the length of time necessary for fruit/seed production.&nbs
p; I was wiondering if some dissections could possibly be done to the remains of the female flowers on this or future small blooms to see if all the necessary parts are there which might indicate if these female flowers could ever develop seed. Just food for thought.
Good Growing!
Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.