IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus - dormancy temperatures
From: Ronmchatton at aol.com on 2005.09.14 at 15:25:58(13357)
I would not put any of these in a fridge. You have two very different groups of species here. The first are the tropical ones like hewittii, lambii, and titanum that have poorly defined, rather short dormant periods. These species should not be exposed to temperatures below about 15C for long periods and 5-10C for short periods. The others, with more well-defined dormant periods, especially the ones that can be stored out of the soil when resting, can be stored even in sunlight, sitting in empty pots. Amorphophallus konjac will survive storage at about 8C for at least 30-45 days however the incidence of rotting increases with the storage time. I've stored numerous species in empty pots on the greenhouse bench with no protection from light and with day/night temperatures of 30C/15C. The initiate growth in the spring like clockwork and, as far as I can tell, at the same time as they did stored under cooler basement conditions. My vote would be
the basement.

Ron McHatton

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.