IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l]P. tweedeanum--Photos/specimens??
From: - - aroids at numericable.fr> on 2006.06.04 at 18:23:04(14333)
Dear Julius,I think there is a very big clump in the aquatic plants display in Munich. It is indeed a surprising habitat for a Philodendron !!!With best regards,DavidLe 30 mai 06 ? 23:50, Julius Boos a ?crit : From : Tom Croat Reply-To : Discussion of aroids Sent : Tuesday, May 30, 2006 4:05 PMTo : "Discussion of aroids" Subject : RE: [Aroid-l] Swamp Philo. sp. from near Iguazu Falls.Dear Tom,Thank you so very much for the ID. ? Are you aware of any site where I may view photos of this species, and are there live specimens at MOBOT or growing in any collection that you may know of??Thanks again,Julius Dear Julius: This is Philodendron tweedeanum Schott,? P. dubium is a synonym of thatname.Tom-----Original Message-----From: Julius Boos [mailto:ju-bo@msn.com]Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 3:36 PMTo: aroid-l@gizmoworks.comSubject: [Aroid-l] Swamp Philo. sp. from near Iguazu Falls.Dear All,Every now and then this incident crosses my mind,
and it still bothersmeall these years later.This note was sparked by someone mentioning the late Fred Fuchs, whocollected extensively in S. America back in the 'good old days', andoftentook groups of orchid and aroid enthusists collecting w/ him. ? Manyyearsago, when I was just getting started in aroids, I met a woman here inWPBwho had returned from collecting w/ Fred just a year or so previously,shedescribed being on the bus to the famous Iguazu falls, when along aflat,straight road BEFORE getting to the falls, in a cow-pasture behind abarbed-wire fence, she saw what could be mistaken for a huge stand ofXanthosoma. ? On closer inspection (after she managed to get the bus tostop!) the plants turned out to be a swamp-growing species ofPhilodendron .?The area in which this dense stand of plants was growing, which wasobviously sometimes flooded, was dry at the time, and the 'soil'consistedof clay baked by the sun to the consistincy/hardness of red brick. ? Shehadto get the bus driver to assist her in digging th
ree plants out of thishardand rock-like 'soil'. ? From memory, the plants had long yellowpetioles,and 'carried' about 5 leaves.? The leaves were sagittate, with theanteriorlobe noticably shorter than the longer, wide-spread hind lobes, and theblades were carried with the anterior lobe pointing down, the hind lobesup.? They were not? 'self-heading', but were none the less very compact,short-rhizomed plants w/ a thick, short and elongate rhizome the colorof anAmerican sweet-potato, orange. ? It seemed that the plants could storefoodreserves in this form of rhizome.The woman had three plants, and resisted all my efforts to trade or buyonefrom here, she made a comment that she would prefer to let them diebeforeshe would part w/ one. ? During a visit a few years later, she had donejustthat, allowed them to die. ? The pots stood empty save theremanants/shellsof their rhizomes.I discussed this w/ the late and great Dr. Monroe Birdsey, and would youbelieve he too had seen and collected the exact plants at the exact
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.