IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Trademark Names
From: "Agoston Janos" agoston.janos at citromail.hu> on 2006.11.27 at 08:47:04(14862)
Dear Tony,thank you for your reply! I did not know that therwe is an International Nomenclature. I just saw, that Prowen winners usally do this. They protected these Oxalis varieties all over the world, and they started the patenting at one time both in Europe and in America.Now I can look for the proper Amecican names (from Euro American Propagators catalogue): Oxalis 'Charmed Jade', 'Charmed Wine' and 'Charmed Velvet'.I also do not urderstand if it is derived from O. triangularis why don't they use the proper name. This is the most annoying from all.I can tell you, that we have asked many dutch perennial traders to send us a catalogue. We compared their lists and prices. And there were many plants just with a genus name without epitheton. There were just so many Graniums with a variety name, so the others were looking for an epitheton. Most of them were oxonianum, as they saw. But is it hard for the secretarys to type an epitheton? I do not think so, becouse we have more than 4000 perennials in our list. W
e hope it is correct, but this can cause many problems.Tony, I'll read your article today. Now I have to go...Bye,Jani-- Eredeti üzenet --Feladó: Tony Avent Címzett: Discussion of aroids Másolat: Elküldve: 00:44Téma: Re: [Aroid-l] Trademark Names Jani: You brought up an interesting point about names. Internationally, there can only be one valid cultivar name for a plant...not one for the US and one for Europe. The improper dual plant naming is caused primarily by people who either don't understand or are trying to illegally circumvent trademark law. I understand that the EU Plant Varieties Act actually requires a new plant to have a non-sensical cultivar name which isn't a real word. If so, this violates the entire spirit of the International Nomenclature Code. If this is true, I find it bizarre that members of the International Nomenclature Code committee haven't put an end to this terrible practice
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.