IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

{Disarmed} Re: [Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lots of questions + contacts
From: Gartenbau Reisenberger <gartenbaureisenberger at web.de> on 2006.12.22 at 11:49:47(14989)
Ted,A couple of years ago I received rhizoms of different anubias (gigantea, afzellii and three unidentified) from one of the experts in the HBV (Vienna University, Botanical Gardens). They had been collected in a dried out riverbed in Eastern Africa and thenlegally imported into Austria for research work. The original plants are kept in water containers, the rhizoms permanently submerged and the leafs growing out up to more then a meter. I was asked, to try to grow them in pots in a sandy potting mix and not submerged (!), but regularely watered. All of them are doing extremly well under this conditions and I think, some species have a high potential to perform as hardy pot plants. In winter I do keep them indoors (not necessarely in a greenhouse
) and in summer I put them outside in a shady spot.Unfortuantely I had a drawback some weeks ago, caused by some neglect re. watering. It was my fault. But meanwhile all of them do recover and show lots of new shoots.So I think there is much more investigation required, to make these wonderful, decoartive plants useful, notonly for aquarium enthusiasts.Helmut Reisenberger Von: Discussion of aroids Gesendet: 21.12.06 19:18:10An: Discussion of aroids Betreff: Re: [Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lots of questions + contactsJani,The only aroid species I know very muchabout are Anubias and Cryptocoryne. The
se are definitely moisture-lovingplants and would not appreciate dryness.There are many varieties of each andthese vary in requirements. Many of the Anubias are large plants and caneasily get too big for an aquarium. Just this past weekend I was visitinga friend with an Anubias with leaves easily half a meter high, with theleaf blades completely above the water line. The one well-behaved Anubiasthat can be kept neatly submerged in a typical aquarium is the one calledAnubias barteri nana or just Anubias nana. This last species is also verytough and resists even plant-nibbling fish. In my tanks it reaches a maximumleaf length, including petiole, of about 20 cm. More typically it is halfthat. Its only drawback is that is grows slowly. But it is easy to growand should be readily available from any aquarium club and many commercialstores.Cryptocoryne are generally more challenging;some may say
a lot more challenging. While many will perform satisfactorilysubmerged in water, many require an "emerse" culture, meaningwith their leaves above the water line and their roots wet. For a quickreference I recommend the site maintained by Jan Bastemeijer of the Netherlands.There is much information there. He may still be a member of this list.His site can be reached at:http://www.NationaalHerbarium.nl/Cryptocoryne/index.html..Beyond that it would be well to makeacquaintance of an aquatic plant fancier who lives near you. In fact, ifyou contact Jan he can probably put you in touch with one of the membersof the European Crypt society.Good luck,Ted."Agoston Janos" nos@citromail.hu> Sent by: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com12/21/2006 10:39 AMPlease respond toDiscussion of aroids To"AROID-L" ccSubject[Aroid-l] variegata aroids + a lotsof questions + contacts
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.