IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Lack of a scent on the Anthurium regale spadix
From: Geoffrey Kibby <Geoffaroid at aol.com> on 2007.01.22 at 22:19:46(15111)
Dear Steve,As an entomologist I will add my ten cents worth.... remember that some insects have quite phenomenal powers of scent detection (some male moths detect females up to a mile away based on just a couple of molecules-worth of scent!) and even though humans can't smell something it doesn't mean it there isn't a strong smell for the insects involved. I once did experiments with dead mice to see how quickly burying beetles which use dead animals for egg laying and a source of food for the hatching larvae would respond. Often within minutes of putting a dead mouse in a woodland beetles would start flying in from all over to lay their eggs. For my nose the mouse was not even beginning to smell but obviously the beetles found them very obviously smelly....Hope that helps,Regards,Geoffrey Kibby, London, U.K.p.s on a different topic: my wonderful plant of Synandrospadix has suddenly and unexpectedly succumbed to a spell of cold weather - tragedy!!! If anyone has a tuber they can spare/sell or trade plea
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.