IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

RE: [Aroid-l] Speak to me, Joe
From: "Alistair Hay" <ajmhay at hotmail.com> on 2007.03.27 at 00:16:46(15490)
Derek I am not sure that the hurdle you present, while a significant issue to be addressed at some stage, prevents things being started because you could first of all go straight into starting the process with completely new cultivars.
Moreover, it is valuable for the ICRA to publish cultivars that may have already been established (rather obscurely in nursery catalogues for example) where you are reasonably confident of their identity (which may actually be determined based on common current usage anyway). The place of establishment can be indicated as 'not known' with the effect that, if it turns out the cv name has not actuially been previously established, it is established at this time of publication, and hence can be registered anyway. If at a later date it is found to have been previously established, the records can be amended accordingly in the online register.
The certain date and place of first establishment is chiefly important in instances of dispute over the use of one epithet for different cultivars in the same denomination class - to determine which has priority - and it might be pragmatic to only conduct the sort of research needed to establish confidently the date and place of first establishment when and as such instances of dispute arise. - That is until someone comes along with a passionate interest in trawling through old gardening dictionaries and nursery catalogues etc and accumulating this info for all the aroids!
It is cheeky of me to say this as an appallingly lapsed IAS member, but I think this is an area of the Soc's work that it is far better to get started and make a few mistakes and omissions than to put off further for fear of not doing it perfectly!
Further cheek: JMO but I do think it is important for IAS as the ICRA to offer the publication service either in Aroideana or in the IAS newsletter (if that is still produced in hard copy). In fact I believe it is set out in the Code as one of the responsibilites of the ICRA to see to it that cultivars submitted for registration are published.
A

Joe,

For those of us like me with the retention span of a gnat, to which particular suggestion from Dr Hay do you refer? If it is the one to get a fire lit under the registration process by taking a very pragmatic approach to data collection, I am all for it. One of the hurdles that I don?t know how to cross on getting the registration started is that even the small lists of cultivars which have been produced by the society from time to time need each entry to be checked for place of publication (if such exists). Only those that have appeared in print, of course, can be considered for registration according to the International Code.

If a form like that outlined by Dr. Hay comes into being, his entry ?Name established? asking for a place of publication (if there is not the regular annual feature in Aroideana set up as he suggests) is of vital importance for when the ?online register? converts to a proper Registration Authority list.

I feel that his suggestion is a great step forward in getting this under discussion and finally perhaps into action.

Derek

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.