IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Spider Mites
From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2007.04.25 at 21:08:53(15588)
I have a very simple recipe I use for just about EVERY pest. It kills spider mites, aphids, earwigs, sow bugs, and fungus gnats (adults and larvae).

Fill a sprayer with lukewarm water.
Add a SMALL squirt of Blue Dawn dishwashing detergent
Mix together
Spray to your heart's content!

The small amount of soap acts as a surfactant to break the surface tension of the water, which is then able to completely coat the bugs' waxy little bodies and drown them. The soap does not harm the leaves (unless you use too much, or use it outside on tender leaves in the sun and forget to wash it off after 15-30 minutes), and is actually a mild foliar feeding. It is effective against sow bugs and fungus gnat larvae when used as a soil drench. I try to use the soap in my fertilizer sprayer whenever I'm fertilizing.

And it's inexpensive!

I just love the stuff!!!

Sheldon Hatheway

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.