IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] A little orchid mystery that is truly an aroidmystery!
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.08.23 at 22:25:50(16148)
MessageThanks Denis, I got a couple of responses indicating it was likely Anthurium gracile. I gave that possible ID to the grower and he came back and said a check of some specimen photos appeared to confirm the ID. If you believe it is A. vittarifolium I'll certainly give him that possibility as well. I grow A. vittarifolium and you're right, the spathe and infructescence does look like his photo.

As for the orchid itself, I received this today from Dave Horak at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. "I am sure that others have probably responded to the orchid/aroid
puzzle. I cannot speak to the identity of the Anthurium in the photo of
the UBC forum link, but the orchid in the photo is very likely a
Stanhopea species that has pendant inflorescences of large flowers-all
of which are wonderful. It could be a couple of other things but it
almost certainly is a Stanhopea sp."

Dave Horak
Curator of the Orchid Collection
Brooklyn Botanic Garden

One thing is for certain, when all you guys and gals pitch in, we all seem to learn a lot. At least I do!

Thanks!

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.