IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] 2nd Annual Aroid show? CA Imports
From: exotics at hawaii.rr.com (Windy Aubrey) on 2007.10.15 at 20:39:26(16509)
Hi Everyone,

First, let me state that I DO NOT think that the Miami show should be changed in anyway! It was my first time attending, and will do it again and again. I remember reading Brian William's story about attending one year, and knew I had to do it at least once. Now I'm hooked!

Regarding having another show in addition to the Miami show. That is a monumental undertaking that I don't think has really been explored beyond a pipe dream. Of course, it would be wonderful to have a West Coast Show, but having been originally a resident of California before moving to Hawaii 8 years ago and being in the 'exotic plant business' since the mid '70s, I really don't think there is that many people in California who grow tropical aroids compared to Florida. One reason being, you must have a greenhouse to properly grow and protect the plants from the cold and low humidity. California is a desert. Utilities in California are extremely high (my reason for moving) and for that reason many don't have a greenhouse, and if they do the, the greenhouse tends to be a small orchid house that would be crowded if a couple of good size aroids were placed inside.

FYI regarding sellers from out of state; I have participated in many plant shows in California, coming from Hawaii. There are a lot of misconceptions regarding this. Plants entering California either need to come from a Certified Nursery, or need to be inspected at the point of origin, and then again upon arrival in California. With the proper paperwork, the second inspection (in California) is only a quick inspection, usually involving only one or two of the plants of the shipment. The Agricultural Dept. usually inspects at the show grounds or at the shipping station. Boxes are stamped or marked externally to ID them as containing plants for this purpose.
Plant sales in California are always filled with sellers from other States, and Countries, and they are never restricted as along as these guidelines are followed.
When I moved from California, I brought along 4 greenhouses full of plants all packed into 49 large boxes of varying sizes, 1 dog, 4 cats, and 12 parrots. I became very familiar with the USDA requirements and I did it all legally, and had no problems doing so.
Shipping the plants in for a show is just a part of doing business and this extra cost is worked into the cost of the plant, as is the price of the booth and any percentage charged by the society.
If plants brought in for the show are not sold, they can be returned to their point of origin with their original paperwork and a return entry form from the Dept of Agri.

There is an annual International Fern and Exotic Plant Show already in California at the Los Angeles Arboretum every summer, and this has been going on for over 30 years. This show has judging and sales, but has very little participation from aroids growers.

There is also an Anthurium Society here on Oahu that has an annual show, but this club is primarily flower growers. The fellow members always joke and ask me if my species are "really" Anthurium too?

I think maybe it is best that we all contribute this new found 'energy' into the Miami IAS Show, in anyway possible, and work together for this show to continue and flourish.

Windy

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.