IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] FW: Aroideana/IAS news letter--thoughts.
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2007.12.09 at 06:02:03(16793)
Sent: Fri 12/07/07 10:41 PM
Reply-to: Discussion of aroids (aroid-l at gizmoworks.com)
To: Discussion of aroids (aroid-l at gizmoworks.com)
Security scan upon download Trend Micro ? logo

Dear Aroid Friends,

[Especially Derek, Tom, Betsy and Jason!!]
I THINK I`d like to add my voice to this cacaphony.
First off, my hope is that the lurkers who have negative comments ''come forward into the light'', as it were, so we can talk and discuss the issues concerning the content of ''our'' journal, Aroideana.
My take on ALL the recent issues of Aroideana stretching back several years is that they have been close to a perfect balance of scientific/taxonomic content (see Jason`s break-down, below---thanks, Jason).
I savor reading them SLOWLY, like I savor a good wine by taking small sips, or nibbling on TINY slivers of my late mum`s rum/fruit cake made a month ago from her recipe with ground fruit which has soaked in rum and cherry brandy for over two years.
Do I like equally "like"/enjoy ALL the articles in Aroideana?? NO. But the majority I do enjoy, and I eventually do get to reading all of them!
To once more ''beat a dead horse'', unless the MEMBERSHIP steps up to the plate and submit drafts on ANYTHING dealing with aroids (as Derek and everyone else must be TIRED of saying/pleading), Aroideana will stay as a VERY high quality journal dedicated to Aroids, with a variety of interests covered.
The IAS newsletter is another matter, I REALLY enjoy receiving it, and the articles are very entertaining! GREAT work, Carla!!
Issues and subjects beyond those covered in Aroideana and the IAS newsletter I firmly believe are best covered (and I believe presently are covered!) in the discussions on forums like the Aroid-l pages, the UBS web site and others like these.
I leave it to the IAS board to decide if we can afford more than one issue a year, and if the number of issues is increased, what the format and size might be---color or B+W, but the SIZE will be critical. Those who are calling for four issues a year MUST bear in mind what the old Aroidanas consisted of, B+W only, three or four short but EXTREMELY informative articles, they consisted of just a thin ''magazine'' stapled together ( I am presently researching an issue in Volume 2 now!), so I can already hear the ''screams'' of complaint from those accostomed to the WONDERFUL large and I am certain COSTLY issues with color, which Derek Burch, our present (and for the ''abuse'' which he endures, grossly ''underpaid'') Editor has managed to produce for our pleasure.
ENOUGH said from my corner!
Thanks a million to those who have contributed to this discussion, and Derek, keep up the GREAT work!

Sincerely,

Julius Boos

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.