IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Anthurium gracile
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2007.12.30 at 12:34:42(16865)
[Aroid-l] Anthurium gracile?
From: aroid-l-bounces at gizmoworks.com on behalf of Joseph S. (nonamethefish at gmail.com)
Sent: Sat 12/29/07 5:55 PM
Reply-to: Discussion of aroids (aroid-l at gizmoworks.com)
To: aroid-l at gizmoworks.com

Dear Joseph,

Anthurium gracile is VERY common in my homeland of Trinidad, W.I. It`s growth habits in the wild there will give you a hint as to some of the conditions you might use in its cultivation here.
I recall seeing THOUSANDS of plants of this species blanketing the horizontal limbs of the HUGE Samman trees (Samman--think a HUGE live oak, umbrella-like in shape, main horizontal limbs about 2'-3' in dia. off a 8' trunk 6-8' in dia.). A. gracile self-pollinates, and in season the thousands of ripening infructesences with red berries are quite a spectacle to see.
Grow it in a basket of a coarse orchid-type mix, or on a bark-covered slab of say Cypress wood in medium to light shade, and when established it might be left to dry out almost completely between waterings. Others may recomend that it be kept slightly moist between waterings.

Good Growing,

Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.