IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] self heading Philodendron ID
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.01.05 at 13:18:35(16907)
----------------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:07:46 -0800
> From: leu242 at yahoo.com
> To: aroid-l at gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] self heading Philodendron ID

Dear Eric,

Thanks, please keep us informed as to any cold damage.
First off, Abrimaal`s opinion is that this large plant is either P. xanadu or P. pinnatifidium, but it is deff. not either of these two species---P. xanadu is a substantially smaller plant with MANY differences, and P. pinnatifidium is NOT a Meconostigma and is a tropical species with many differences and so would not survive the cold where this plant is growing.
(When in doubt, read the instructions! :--)!!
In the most recent key to the plants in the Philodendron subgenus Meconostigma, in Aroideana Vol. 25 of 2002, Dr. Eduardo Goncalves lists 19 ''good'' species in this subgenus, and P. eichlerii is not listed as one of them. I have seen a photograph of a plant that is pretty much a perfect match for Eric`s pic. in an old Exotica labeled as P. eichlerii, next to it or at least on the same page was P. X evansii.
I will continue to ask around, but I am pretty certain that P. eichlerii is one of the old hybrids.
I am familiar w/ P. undulatum, and this photo of Eric`s is certainly NOT P. undulatum, which is one of the smaller and compact-growing species of Meconostigma, and has very distinctive, long and thorn-like squamules surrounding the base of each petiole, persisting on the bare rhizome. It is the only Meconostigma sp. with these thorn-like squamules.

The Best,

Good Growing,

Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.