IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l]
From: gartenbaureisenberger at web.de (Helmut Reisenberger) on 2008.02.02 at 17:19:17(17033)
Hi to all European aroid collectors/lovers,
As I just have said, there are exciting offers, restricted to the US marketplace, like Natural Selections Exotics - and most other American growers of aroid rarities.
This restrictions have to be understood in the difficulties of worldwide exports/imports with living goods. We all have to be happy about this, because it helps to protect natural ressources as well as to minimize the danger of the distribution of sometimes sick material. Legal, worldwide exports and imports are mostly not impossible for professional growers, but at least they are very costly re the requirement of a valid import/export permission and phytosanitary certificates for each delivery, sometimes for both, the exporter as well as the importer. It is sometimes hard to understand, but it makes sense.
I used to live and to work in Australia and I know a lot about restricted imports/exports, because the rules downunder always have been very rigid, long before the legal background in the USA and in Europe has been adapted. Back to Vienna/Austria I have started to dive deeper into the field of fascinating aroids, based on those exctiting and rare species, found in old, private and governmental botanical collections. Consequently I have in the last ten years started to gather seeds and cuttings from cultivated plants in different institutiones (I never did it without asking or offending any law). With that material I have started my own collection of rare aroids, which I successfully do cultivate. Over the years came the overflow and finally I started to sell rare plants and cuttings of some species. which you won?t find elsewhere in the European market.
Officially there are no restrictions on the European marketplace - like there are no trade-restrictions inside the USA. But nevertheless I do certainly take care and all the plants and plant material, which I trade is produced and sold under control of the related Austrian (European) Authorities.
Anybody interested in details? Just let me know!
Helmut Reisenberger

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.