IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Alocasia reticulata and an introduction
From: chadmayer at yahoo.com (Chad Mayer) on 2008.02.29 at 16:40:08(17106)

Hi all. Ive joined a few new groups over the last few weeks and couldnt remember if I introduced myself yet or not, so.....
My name is Chad Mayer and I reside in Tempe, AZ. I come to aroids via amphibians (sounds weird, but actually makes some sense). I keep several species of tropical dart frogs, and this has led me to investigate tropical plants in general, and Ive been bitten by the aroid bug pretty bad. I have a temperature controlled greenhouse attached to my house which allows me about 9-10 months a year of solid growth time of many tender tropicals. Currently, Im cultivating several philodendrons and a few anthurium species, but also have a few alocascia. I also 'do' bananas, berries, and a few other standard type plants....
Now to my point. Ive tried a few times to grow this Alocasia, but have rotted them every time. It seems that this variety needs a greater airflow around the roots that is normal on Alocasias Ive grown in the past. But, I usually have some trouble with TC plants, which is how this is produced, so that may in fact be the complicating factor. Ill probably try again later this year when some larger specimens are available, but Ive killed two in the past year thru a rot of some sort. Would love to know of any tips or tricks to keeping this cultivar healthy.
Chad

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.