IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Anthurium hookeri germination
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.03.26 at 00:02:19(17218)
Ferenc,

It sounds as though you may have the real Anthurium hookeri. Not sure if you read the discussion on this forum some months ago regarding the species but the berries of Anthurium hookeri (the species, not the hybrids) are white, not red as many collectors assume. You can find quite a few websites that indicate the berries should be red but according to information published my Dr. Croat in his journal as well as information furnished by botanist David Scherberich when I was asking about the species, the true species is not what most collectors assume to be Anthurium hookeri. David furnished a photo of the true species which you can see on the link below.

I've managed to grow quite a few Anthurium from seeds sent by other collectors as well as those produced on my own plants. I simply crush the berries and lightly cover them with soil. Some collectors recommend washing the berries but I've had good success by simply planting them. I keep the soil damp until they germinate in moderately bright light. Right now I have at least 10 species growing from seeds as a result.

You can read some of the information I learned about Anthurium hookeri from the experts on this forum here:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Anthurium%20hookeri%20pc.html

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.