IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Rhaphidophora tetrasperma
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.03.28 at 17:12:08(17255)
I made a very big blunder yesterday when I indicated on this forum the description I posted was the original of Rhaphidophora tetrasperma. Lucinda pointed out this morning I had misread her message and the work was done by Pete Boyce. Pete has helped me many times to find correct information so my apologies to him as well! The work was actually published in 'Gardens Bulletin Singapore', Title: Rhaphidophora Hassk. (Araceae-Monsteroideae-Monstereae) in Peninsular Malaysia, and Singapore, Vol 52, 1999. I rarely publish the scientific description of a species but did so yesterday since there appeared to be some concern (private mail) I had the correct genus and species.

Pete, if you are reading any of this, please accept my apology. And if you'd prefer I not republish your work, just drop me a note. I'll take it down right away.

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Rhaphidophora%20tetraspema%20pc.html

And my thanks again to Lucinda Lay for the assist. I've been blessed with the help of the folks at the Royal Botanic Garden Kew, Missouri Botanical Garden including Dr. Croat, Alistair Hay in Australia, several at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Miami and many others including those at the Huntington and private collectors in southern California along with David Scherberich in France. My chief "advisors" are Julus Boos and Leland Miyano who constantly help me find accurate information along with Russ Hammer who edits just about every page. My goal has always been to provide accurate scientific information about the species we grow but do so in a way any of us can understand and use without a botanical dictionary. Believe me, I sit here looking up "big words" all the time and at the same time attempt to help people learn what they mean! But for me, it is a cheap education!

In the case of this species, I was finding all sorts of information saying it was a Philodendron, a Monstera and several other genera. I just hate to see bad information adopted and used by collectors. I always welcome input from any of you!

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.