IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] St. Paul tiny titan
From: ku5 at yahoo.com (KATHY UPTON) on 2008.04.10 at 17:22:21(17368)
Bernhard and Julius,
The photo that Susan had is from 2001 and was a more "normal" flowering than the little one in 1998. The little one had a powerful stench and someone suggested that a tiny one might need to have a giant smell to accomplish its goal, but for whatever reason it smelled like a combination of sauerkraut, a rotting animal, and trash sitting outside in a dumpster in the sun that had been there a week. On the night that it opened at my house, we were sleeping with the attic fan on, and the smell carried right upstairs to us. The smell given off by the 2001 inflorescence was disappointing compared to that. You asked about the size of them now. The largest one from that seed batch has a leaf about 10 feet tall, and 25 pounds. The 2 that bloomed are near that size. I haven't always had the space available that they deserve and haven't always been able to move them up into the large pot sizes they would really love over the years, so actually they are probably small
compared to those at other institutions that received the same seed. But they are healthy and have formed offsets, too, at times when I let one occasionally get too crowded in its pot.
Cheers,
Kathy

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.