IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Philodendrons produce infrared light???
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.05.19 at 20:54:19(17583)
There is a guy on UBC which is one of the sites I often answer questions about aroids insisting his Philodendron bipennidifidum is producing infrared light as a result of the spadix going through male and female anthesis. I've tried to explain the process as I've learned it from Dr. Croat and Julius including insect pollinators and how they are attracted to the plant as a result of pheromones. I now am receiving private male from others saying they think he is onto something. It is obvious from his "strange science" he knows nothing about aroids. He had no idea what pollen even was, yet he described it as a purely personal observation. His theory is the heat produced by the spadix is a result of infrared light and he appears to have no understanding of thermogenesis. Will any of you please let me know if such a thing is even possible?

I've read of nothing close to this in any of the published material in my library. I am checking Simon Mayo, J. Bogner and Pete Boyce's book right now, so if any of you know of something I don't know, please put me on the right track.

And by the way, Julius, you sent me a great explanation of how Philodendron species reproduce. I can't find that anywhere! I would have sworn I added it to my website but can't find it now! If you have
that at hand, please send it to me and also publish it here.

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.