IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] ID on Philodendron
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.06.04 at 21:35:40(17737)
Marcus, I do not wish to bicker, but you might want to read this page:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron%20hederaceum%20pc.html

I did a great deal of research which began close to two years ago with Dr. Croat's help. P. scandens is simply a synonym of Philodendron hederaceum as are Arum hederaceum, Philodendron micans, Philodendron miduhoi, Philodendron oxycardium, Philodendron acrocardium, Philodendron cuspidatum, Philodendron hoffmannii, Philodendron microphyllum, Philodendron pittieri and others. It is true Philodendron hederaceum can grow quite large, up to 48cm (19 inches) in the rain forest. But I would have difficulty accepting this specimen as P hederaceum (scandens) unless Dr. Croat has a differing opinion. It is one of the most variable of all Philodendron species and is the source of great confusion. The argument regarding the true name of this plant dates back to close to 180 years but is now settled in botany. Still, collectors challenge the name all the time and continue to prefer P. scandens, P. micans and others. I attempt to explain all of that in detail on the page link above and most of my material was give
n either by Dr. Croat in personal conversation in his office, via email or from his published work. Please take the time to read the page and then offer your comments.

Steve Lucas

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.