IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Philodendron sagittifolium at female anthesis!
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.06.07 at 12:36:15(17787)

OK, now Dr. Croat has explained the red dots are a resin for the pollinating beetle to get on their bodies and thus be able to pick up and carry pollen. During the night the thermogenic heat reduced as did the pheromone. By 1:30AM it was barely detectable.

I forgot that the auto overhead watering system would kick in at 5:30AM! Didn't stay out long at 5:30 in the morning with the rain falling on my head. When that was done around 6:45 I tried to get back to taking photos. By the way, it is pretty much like being in the rain forest in your pajamas!

Once the "rain" stopped this one was taken at 6:30AM. The spadix still appears almost like the 1:30AM shot. I think I notice is the color of red on the spathe itself just beneath the opening to the spadix has reduced in intensity. No female flowers appear present. This is obviously going to be a two day event, perhaps longer, with the species Philodendron sagittifolium. I'll be checking every few hours for activity.

So a couple of observations:
1) the pheromone is not apparent this morning.
2) No thermogenic heat can be detected
3) The red at the lip of the spathe is reduced
4) No female flowers are present

The spathe is obviously waiting on something to continue the cycle of reproduction. I'll guess we'll check every few hours and see what transpires.

Now where did I put my Scarab Beetles?

By the way, Julius, Leland, Marc, Ron, Denis, any of you that know about this activity please teach me!

Steve Lucas @ 7;25AM Maybe 3 hours sleep!

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.