IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Ecuadorian aroids
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.06.30 at 19:11:47(18019)
Dear Elizabeth,

Aloha and mahalo (thank you), for sharing your photos with Aroid-L.

I cannot make much of a comment to help with the identities of the various plants you posted, but I certainly know what a beautiful plant is.

I understand you are a designer...I am a designer of landscapes among other things, so I really appreciate the beauty of plants. With Roberto Burle-Marx of Brazil, we did alot of salvage conservation from rainforest areas, etc., of habitats actively being destroyed. All of the collections were deposited in ex-situ collections in Brazil. I notice you speak for the trees, so that is a good thing. Here in Hawaii, we have lost so much of our flora and fauna. If you have the interest, go to www.honoluluacademy.org , click on exhibitions on the top dock and scroll to current exhibitions and Leland Miyano.

On your hikes, please take additional photos. Hawaii has Ecuadorian plants here due to the collection of Dorothy Henkle, who traveled to your country looking for interesting aroids. Unfortunately, I do not know the identities of many of her plants...much of the data was lost on her death and the distribution of her collections. I recognize some of the plants in the photos...or at least very similar species, vegetatively. It would be wonderful if you and Dr. Croat meet when he visits...I am sure you will learn the most from him. Maybe a second degree in botany is in your future. Are you in contact with Ecuadorian botanists?...ask Dr. Croat for recommendations.

Thank you again for sharing these images with us. I would like to see photos with something for scale...the photos with your hand are very helpful.

Keep up the photography in habitat...I for one, look forward to seeing more...with commentary as you find out specific information.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.