IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Monstera tenuis in cultivation.
From: gartenbaureisenberger at web.de (Helmut Reisenberger) on 2008.07.04 at 00:39:29(18064)
It is about five years ago that I found a well developed, adult species of Monstera tenuis in the Botanical Garden of Darmstadt (Germany). It didn?t have a name tag and nobody could tell. I got a stem cutting with two internodes and adult leaves. After I have cut the stem into two pieces (each nodium) I sterilized it and put it into a cup of fresh water. As soon root tips developed after two weeks, I put the cuttings into a cup filled with sterile, washed coarse river sand. There it took a while until new shoots showed. The result was: a stem of one millimeter diameter, very long internodes and tiny, round, juvenile leaves. The stems grew for several meters, but the leaves did not get any bigger. I cut the stems again and again and each new cutting produced the same type of new shoots. Over the years now, the oldest plants have a stem of 15 millimeter diameter and still the same type of round, juvenile leaves up to 20 cm diameter. I think it needs time and the right growing conditions to produce adult, spl
it leaves as well as shorter internodes. I never had problems with rooting any cuttings,- like I hardly have problems propagating different Monsteras under "Central European greenhouse conditions". I am about to make a picture documentation of my different Monsteras (with a lot of
ID- questions directed to the forum). I wish I had more time to do it. I?ll be back!

Helmut

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.