IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Chaos in Monstera names
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.07.06 at 19:02:11(18089)
Dear Maestros of Monstera,

Aloha.

If any of you all wish to eat a Monstera deliciosa fruit, this is the trick. Pick or buy a mature fruit. It should be green and firm and there should be a slight separation between the scales near the peduncle. Wrap the fruit in a brown paper bag or aluminum foil. Do not attempt to eat it until the little green plates or scales of the rind begin to fall off. When the remaining plates are very easy to remove, it can be eaten. The inedible core should just pull away. Some people are sensitive to the calcium oxalate, even in fully ripe fruit. If you have never eaten Monstera deliciosa or are sensitive...caution is advised.

Julius, I do think about the Pleistocene megafauna and the Quaternary extinctions. If there are well preserved fossils within the distributional range of Monstera deliciosa, stable isotope analysis can tell what the animal ate. Tapirs are monogastric browers, so they are good candidates. I thought about extinct ground sloths...but their modern counterparts have such a slow metabolism, could the seeds pass through unscathed? Sloths only defecate once a week. Ruminants would destroy seed and other ungulates...horses, etc. are grazers. Other megafauna herbivores are mammoths, mastodons, camels, peccaries,various Rodentia...I do not know the bird fauna well.

Botanist Joel Lau is studying Hawaiian banana varieties, I can ask him if he has information on the loss of seeds over time. Dr. Diane Ragone is the director of the Breadfruit Institute which has 200+ accessions of breadfruit. She is doing molecular work on the taxonomic relationships and I can ask her if she knows about the loss of seed in breadfruit. Yes, Julius...you always give us food for thought.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.