IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] How old are the aroids?
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.07.31 at 17:22:42(18307)
Dear Christopher and all,

Aloha.

Wow. There must have been some sort of refugia all that time to preserve your geomorphic features for the habitat of your shrimp. I would assume that is rare. What is the geologic history of the sedimentation or other processes of the region? Are we talking about Anostracan crustacea? I know you wrote a paper on fairy shrimp in Minas Gerais...could you resend me the pdf off forum?...I seem to have lost that to virtual world. Anostracans have a geologic history from the Lower Devonian, according to my Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology. I do not recall the age of your geomorphic features...could you refresh my poor memory? I am most familiar with the Santana formation fossils of the Late Cretaceous of Brazil...when shallow seas or lacustrine environments existed....and the connection to African fossils of similar age are proven. I am assuming your geomorphic features predate that....perhaps by a significant period.

This is a very interesting point you bring up regarding tectonic movements and botanical evolutionary trends. Are there many references on the biogeography of the aroids?

Aloha,

Leland

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.