IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Indeed: How old are the aroids?
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.08.02 at 18:52:58(18314)
Dear Adam and all,

Aloha.

Thank you for forwarding this information. From what I read, the fossil aroid record is sparse and the speculative interpretation is high. Very interesting. I do not know much about palynology and less about paleopalynology...it amazes me that so much information can be extracted from these tiny grains.

Being an optimist and the fact that many paleontologists are looking at Jurassic deposits, I am still hopeful that earlier proto-aroids will be discovered. It seems improbable that such plants suddenly appeared so fully formed in the Early Cretaceous. Time and new discoveries will tell.

I was very interested in the article you sent on a so-called Philodendron subgenus, Meconostigma...Philodendron limnestes, Dilcher & Daghlian 1977. I found out that Mayo, in 1991, thought this fossil was closer to the genus, Typhonodorum , tribe Peltandeae based on the venation and cuticular features.

Thanks again for the interesting leads.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.