IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Stolen plant
From: jindegales at yahoo.co.uk (Michael Benedito) on 2008.08.07 at 00:53:08(18344)
Hi again!
?
Thanks to all that helped me with the ID of the plant, you are absolutely right, its not an aroid but belongs to the piperaceae family.
?
?At the beginning?i thougt it was some sort of scindapsus, but then i realized that it lacks some typical characteristics of that genus, specially the total absence of roots traces at the nodes, and i also made a google search and found nothing like that plant?under scindapsus and related genera.
?
?Then the plant flowered to me and the flower reminded me of an aroid spadix, but the spathe was missing, so i thought it could be?totally reduced or someting like that...
I grow peperomia, but never related the inflorescences of each other, as peperomia are so compact and look different!...
That flower, the leaf attachement, the growing habbit?and the shape of the leaves of that piper?fooled me?all this time!? But now i am glad that i finally know what it is!
?
Anyway, I apologise to ask this here, since this is an aroid list and not piper list, but?can we tell that the inflorescence?of aroids (monocots)?and piperaceae (dicots), that are so "far away" from each other, be considered as some sort of convergent evolution? At first glance they really?look very similar, even in the floral arrangement. I would like to know your opinion!
?
Kind regards
Michael
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.