IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] [Aroid-I) Syngonium macrophyllum - ID
From: Helmut Reisenberger <gartenbaureisenberger at web.de> on 2008.09.17 at 06:26:58(18546)
Dear Tom, Dear All,

May I direct a new question to esp. Tom:
I once got a stem (1 cm diam.) of - obviously - Syngonium macrophyllum from the collection of the Austrian Federal Gardens (formerly the reknown "Impe rial Gardens"). I was told, it was a strange hybrid of indefinite origin, t hat has "happened" around 1900. Meanwhile I have learned, it must be Syngon ium macrophyllum ref. also to images of the juvenile leaves. But the distin ct development of triparte adult leaves - as shown on the pictures - is con fusing me. I have been growing this plant now for a couple of years. It is an extensive grower and easy to be multiplied by cuttings. By the time the juvenile leaves have become bigger and bigger and there never had been any sign of producing "adult" leaves. The juvenile heartshaped leaveblades are now more than 75 cm long and about 45 cm wide.
At any cut of the stem or leaf there is a lot of white sap running out. Is it normal thet the juvenile leaves get that big without turning to the adul t version, or has there really something strange "happened" in the Imperial Gardens at the beginning of the 20th century?

Helmut

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.