IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus costatus flowering
From: Adam Black <epiphyte1 at earthlink.net> on 1970.01.01 at 00:00:00(18790)
Eric,

Up the road at Kanapaha Bot. Gardens in Gainesville, FL we have one konjac near the entrance that has always flowered at this exact time (early December), while all others in a seperate mass planting of A. konjac flower around March-April. I can't think of any differing conditions between these two plantings that might affect flowering times. I have always found this one plant on a "reverse cycle" to be very interesting. Considering A. konjac's temperate natural range I wouldn't think a winter flowering period would be an effective adaptation - that is assuming this is a clone that is programmed to bloom at this time and not being stimulated by something yet to be determined. Come to think of it, I haven't been paying attention to our confused plant lately and will have to check and see if it has tried to send up an inflorescence , which most likely has already been knocked back by our recent freezes.

Adam Black

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.