IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] New Species Anthurium, sect. Belolonchium
From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2009.01.04 at 04:51:17(18851)
Hi Steve and Tom,

Thanks for the replies!! Unfortunately, the science does not seem "hard" in that the rules are not clear-cut as to how many specimens must be removed from nature and the obvious ethical concerns that causes and the quality of the description does not need to be well done based on Tom's post below. Honestly, this is a huge shock to me. This has been very informative for me however and I appreciate the input from the true experts!!

I do have one other question and that regards authorship and how it is applied? As a basic lab scientist who has published a few papers I generally rely on three important areas that are required for a manuscript to be written and authorship to be granted. One must either do the science (or some % of it....a vague reality nowadays when science is far more collaborative and authorships are necessary for grants to be obtained and tenure to be achieved, etc), substantially be resposnible for the ideas underlying the science or write the manuscript. Ideally any author would have done portions of 2 of the 3 above. Indeed, these are not just my rules, but the rules that are set forth by the Univ. of Pittsburgh for authorship on any published manuscript coming from the institution. Obviously, obtaining the outside funding from NIH, NSF or a foundation is necessary, but likely the senior author has done that by default.

So, I am wondering how authorship is determined for botanical descriptions such as we are talking about here? Again, this is way outside my area of research and publishing, but it is an interesting topic for those of us interested in how these new species get published in the first place.

Thanks for taking the time as I realize that not a lot of people have an interest in something this technical.....or maybe they do since we all rely on people like Tom to provide the species names for the plants in our collections :o)

Dan

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.