IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] aroid recommendations
From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.01.10 at 23:02:32(18888)
Well Hello right back at you, good Ms. Carol!

SIZE is the difficulty here, most of the aroids grown by aroid-lovers are pretty large, but let`s see what we can do---the problem will be in you obtaining some of these plants, a note to this self-same list may bring some folks out of the shadows who may have specimens to offer for sale or trade.
The first that comes to my mind is Callopsis volkensii (African), which loves a 5" pot and produces blooms which in my opinion are one of THE most interesting and beautiful in this family, a lily-white spathe with an egg-yolk yellow spadix, blooms regularly and LOVES the extra TLC and fertilizer, etc. you guys should be able to give to it.
The second in a S. American, will also do well in a smaller pot, say 5"-6", it is Spathicarpa, any species which may be available.  This one will be easier to obtain.  Negative points are a non-typical spadix which is attached along the center of the spathe, but is again one of my favorites.  The bloom reminds me of a woman`s diamond tennis bracelet.
Spathiphyllum floribundum, the smallest of the species in this genus would be great, a 6" pot should do the trick, nice typical blooms. Sometimes available at Home Depot type stores.
Several dwarf Anubias species should be available from Aquarium/fish stores, most are usually grown UNDER water, but will do well/better if re-planted as an ABOVE water plant and grown ''wet'' (with the sand mix, in a 5" pot standing in a in a saucer of water), all the underwater leaves will die off, but new leaves will be produced for the now above-water plant.
I`m certain that others may add to this discussion, but good luck and GREAT growing.

Julius
WPB, FLORIDA

> Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 14:50:50 -0500
> From: Carol.McCarthy@mail.wvu.edu

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.