IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Aquatic aroids
From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2009.01.19 at 21:42:17(18934)
Almost all the SpathiphyllumI grow are in the house as house plants. There are three in the atriumbut they don't appear to like all the water from the overhead mistingsystem and almost never produce an inflorescence. It is my opinionthat is because all of these are hybrids (not species) and have beenbred to survive on minimal water and in low light. But I thought forcertain I had read in some of Dr. Croat's material that Spathiphyllumdo in fact grow in water. I asked him if the genus was a marginal. This is the note he just sent, "Steve: If you mean by “marginal”that they are along the margins of streams, yes, but they also occurout in the depths of the understory, sometimes in full sun too,especially along wet banks. The genus is a hog for water and probablywould not do well in really dry sites.

Tom"

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.