IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma indica?
From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.04.10 at 09:22:20(19229)
Dear John and Friends,

The illustration on this stamp, especially that of one leaf, does in fact closely resemble a non-discript species within the Neotropical genus Xanthosoma, but we MUST keep in mind that the artist might not have been a Botanist, and may have been using a generalized photo or illustration of an aroid (who knows!)  Since there are no blooms which would have assisted in determining  the precise I.D. of this plant, and there is no label on the stamp itself, Pete Boyce (perhaps in jest) suggested it might be "Xanthosoma indica'', a non-species if ever there was one!  But then again, to ramble on a little on this topic, there IS a named var./cultivar named "Alocasia amazonica'', a genus that does NOT occur naturally anywhere NEAR the Amazon Basin!  I did the research on this name, to discover that it was named by its creator (it is a hybrid) who owned a now-defunct nursery in the Miami area back in the 30`s-40`s and the Nursery`s name was "Amazon Nursery", hence the name of this Asian Plant.
 I came to the conclusion that the illustration on the stamp could very well be a sp. of Alocasia, which is native to that area while Xanthosoma is NOT.
Good Growing,

Julius

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.