IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Species suited to a water wall
From: "Elizabeth Campbell" <desinadora at mail2designer.com> on 2009.04.23 at 14:10:02(19271)

Building on what Bonaventure had to say, I'd reccomend the epilythic members of Maxillaria and Masdevallia (see attached), which are smaller-growing plants with rather spectacularly coloured blooms, and if you want something very big and showy you can actually move to the epiphytes of most species so long as you anchor them in living moss (which from your description won't be a problem.) If you're going to go that way, then I'd reccomend some of the orchids that produce a pendant, rather than erect, inflorescence - genera like Stanhopea, Acineta, and Lycaste. I've attached a photo of a Colombian Acineta hybrid that is grown to great success on water-walls. The orchid show only labeled this one "Acineta gymnostele x, Colombia" (they didn't give the grower's name) so I can't give you pointers on where you might find one. However, A. superba is also a fantastic plant, widely available, and smells amazing.

You can also grow many of the Ecuadorean species of Philodendron this way; I can vouch for P. pastazense growing at the margins of waterfalls. Equally, epiphytic bromeliads of the genera Tillandsia and Neoregelia perform well on water-walls.

Hope this helps!

Beth

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.