IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Help with Anthurium scherzerianum
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com on 2009.05.15 at 15:17:52(19324)
Dear Ed,

Aloha.

I have had newly purchased Anthurium scherzerianum drop leaves , etc. I have a 40% shadehouse that is open to the rainfall. When this species is overwatered, I find they tend to defoliate. After they defoliate, it takes a long time to renew growth. Many commercial growers here use a mix very different from mine and they also use fungicides, which I do not use. My solution is to pot the plant in a very well draining mix and to control the water as best I can. Sometimes this means under sizing the pot as I have no control over the weather. I may plant these in baskets as they dry out faster. This species also prefers bright but not burning light levels. Right now, this species is in active growth and blooming for me. Another threat here are slugs...which spread pathogens simply by biting the new growth...or they completely devour young plants.

I normally do not fertilize my plants, so someone else can advise you on this matter. I am conducting limited experiments with composted steer manure, but the odor is rather strong at first...not so pleasant if you grow things indoors. I also have an opportunity to gather an invasive seaweed from our bay and I will cooperate with a local fishpond to do composting experiments.

I am not familiar with your growing conditions, nor how your plants are planted, so please understand that these suggestions are from Hawaiian lowland, seasonally wet conditions.

I am not much of a collector of hybrids, but Anthurium wendlingeri X Anthurium scherzerianum, first reported by Dr. Kamemoto, is a spectacular hybrid. It can get four foot long, pendant and broad velvety leaves with a large scarlet spathe and a pig tail spadix that can hangs down a foot in length. I would encourage anyone with both species to re-do this cross, as I have not seen this for years after many Hawaiian collections were destroyed by an Anthurium blight.

Aloha,

Leland

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.