IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Botanical Nomenclature
From: Riley2362 at aol.com on 2009.07.17 at 17:10:20(19564)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is anything such thing as an ABSOLUTE in botanical nomenclature. So the use of the words "right, wrong, legal, illegal" are not really fitting. Botanists publish infromation in order to have their work recognized by the scientific community and this lends "validation" to their work, so in the end, their names might be "recognized" or "accepted" as "more correct". That is why data bases usually contain all publications, rather than a biased perspective that whoever compiled the database has ruled on the acceptance of any set of information. Yes, it is confusing to horticulturists who just want to put a name on a plant label, but the history is informative to the evolution and classification of the plant material. What is more important than a plant name would be an accession number that correlates to a time and place of collection.

Michael Riley

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.